Skip to main content

Homemade enamel dots....

I really love enamel dots for card making, but they are INSANELY expensive!
Some months ago, I bought a small Glossy Accents bottle (a glossy medium used to accent and brighten distinct areas of cards, albums, scrapbook pages etc.)
This medium is semi-liquid and opaque when it comes out of the bottle's tip, but in few hours it becomes solid and transparent .

While I was using the Glossy Accents for my cards, I realized that the consistency of the dry medium reminded me of transparent enamel dots, which made think it would be possible to use this medium to make my own enamel dots...

I bought a set of mini nail polishes for a reasonable price,

dripped some Glossy Accents medium onto an acetate sheet,
waited for few hours,
and 'painted' the drops with the nail polish...
Ok, I haven't been very accurate with the painting 🤣🤣🤣

Once the nail polish dried, I tried to carefully remove the drops from the acetate sheet....nonetheless, I ended up with most of the dots broken...
I really don't know if it's the nail polish (actually the organic solvent that is inside the nail polish) that makes the Glossy Accents medium crumbly, or if it's the medium itself which is not suitable for this kind of things...Fact is that the experiment didn't work... 😢😢😢

To rule out the nail polish problem, I'll try this little experiment again, but I'll leave some uncolored dots. If they won't crack, it means that is the nail polish, but in this case...HOW CAN I COLOR MY DROPS?!?!?! 

If you have any idea, suggestion please comment below in any language!!!

Comments

Popular posts

Card making and papercraft magazines

Last month I had the chance to get, for the first time, a couple of Cardmaking & papercraft  magazines: Papercraft Inspirations and Make Christmas card magazine. Papercraft Inspiration December issue had a Christmas window build-a-scene embossing folder and stamp free gift, as well as  free festive papers . Make Christmas cards was offering:  2 embossing folder borders ,  13 stylish stamps ,  32 Christmas papers ,  12 découpage sheets ,  117 toppers & motifs and  73 festive greetings. Here you have some of the cards and tags I've made with the magazines' gifts All cards have been donated to hospitals 

One more way to combine soy wax and gel!

The followings are all two-layered candles with the bottom layer made of gel and the upper part made of soy wax . Why combining the two of them? Because gel is transparent and allows you to embed objects   and soy wax   has an incredible  scent   throw and a long burning time ! Few simple rules for embedding objects: ideally they should be non flammable (like glass animals, shells or stones)! ...but if you do not exaggerate with the amount, you also can potentially use cinnamon sticks, dried flowers etc... To be on the safe side: if you use flammable objects I'd anyway suggest you to pour the thinnest layer of gel as possible (just to cover the embeds) and avoid burning this layer. And remember: never ever leave lit candles unattended! Let yourself be inspired and give it a try! Gel embeddings: glitters (blue candle) or sea shells (peach candle). Soy wax: caramel-scented.   G el embeddings: cinnamon sticks G el embeddings: cinnamon sticks (left) or star