Skip to main content

Candle making question: at which temperature should you pour wax?

...well, it depends on the wax!


I've been making candles for 3 years now and I have experienced several problems myself before finding the right temperature to end up with flawless nice candles.




If you decide to make candles: take your time, use a thermometer and check the temperature of your melted wax before pouring, always!


It happened to me several times that, because I was in a rush, I poured the wax soon after I have melted it and I ended up with really ugly candles!

If you pour at high temperature you may end up with fragrance loss (evaporation), frosting (this is a frequent problem with soy wax), massive shrinking (not good for container candles), cracking on top. If you pour at a very low temperature you can have jump lines, wax can start to solidify in the container and so on...

Full post on FROSTING HERE.

In my experience, buying certified frosting-resistant soy wax only partially limits the problem...

Two golden rules to avoid frosting:
1) do not overheat the wax
2) pour the wax at the right temperature


I'll tell you what works best for me to avoid the above-mentioned issues, but you really need to test, test and test with small-scale experiments before going big! 👌


In my experience, for soy wax, the best temperature is, with no exceptions, around 52-55°C. 
For paraffin is around 65-68 °C if you want a smooth surface, 60-62 °C if I have to pour it on soy wax chunks (otherwise they melt), and stick to 55-58 °C if you want to obtain 'jump lines' (click this LINK to discover what jump lines are)

Pillar with jump lines
Pillar with smooth surfaceFor container candles: I'm usually very satisfied with the results obtained with the above-mentioned tricks, but if I still have cracking on top or an uneven surface, my heat gun comes in handy!


Comments

Popular posts

Card making and papercraft magazines

Last month I had the chance to get, for the first time, a couple of Cardmaking & papercraft  magazines: Papercraft Inspirations and Make Christmas card magazine. Papercraft Inspiration December issue had a Christmas window build-a-scene embossing folder and stamp free gift, as well as  free festive papers . Make Christmas cards was offering:  2 embossing folder borders ,  13 stylish stamps ,  32 Christmas papers ,  12 découpage sheets ,  117 toppers & motifs and  73 festive greetings. Here you have some of the cards and tags I've made with the magazines' gifts All cards have been donated to hospitals 

One more way to combine soy wax and gel!

The followings are all two-layered candles with the bottom layer made of gel and the upper part made of soy wax . Why combining the two of them? Because gel is transparent and allows you to embed objects   and soy wax   has an incredible  scent   throw and a long burning time ! Few simple rules for embedding objects: ideally they should be non flammable (like glass animals, shells or stones)! ...but if you do not exaggerate with the amount, you also can potentially use cinnamon sticks, dried flowers etc... To be on the safe side: if you use flammable objects I'd anyway suggest you to pour the thinnest layer of gel as possible (just to cover the embeds) and avoid burning this layer. And remember: never ever leave lit candles unattended! Let yourself be inspired and give it a try! Gel embeddings: glitters (blue candle) or sea shells (peach candle). Soy wax: caramel-scented.   G el embeddings: cinnamon sticks G el embeddings: cinnamon sticks (left) or star