Skip to main content

Mother's day card making (vellum overlay card)

I have been watching video tutorials about card making for weeks now.  In particular, I've been following a couple of Youtube channels (Christina Griffiths Card making magic and Jennifer McGuire Ink) that really inspired me so that I decided to give it a try myself.
To be honest, I've always tried to make gift tags or Xmas cards myself whenever it has been possible, but I have to admit that I've been always making very simple things by using whatever I had at home... This time I invested some money (not much to be honest) and decided to go for craft shopping (embossing powders, stamps, heat gun, some paper sheets, tapes etc).
I've watched (10 many times) and already shared on my FB page an amazing video about how to make vellum overlay cards. Vellum it's a very interesting material and that's the reason why I chose to use it in my first card.
That's my attempt to create a 'Mother's day card' 

Below you'll find more details about the card making process itself.

Materials:
  • Vellum sheet 90/95 gr
  • White A4 smooth Iris Vivaldi paper sheet 240 gr
  • Red A4 smooth Iris Vivaldi paper sheet 240 gr
  • Artemio frame puncher (tiny flowers)
  • Holographic embossing powder
  • Top Boss transparent embossing pad
  • Poppy red Versacraft mini ink pad 
  • Double sided tape
  • Artemio mounting tape 
  • Heart tree rubber stamp
  • Silver embossing powder and a Woodware clear magic stamp 

Here is what I've done: 
1) I've cut 2x white and 1x red sheets of Iris Vivaldi paper of exactly the same size. 
2) I've cut 1x small red rectangle and 1x small white square out of Vivaldi paper. The white square was big enough to fit the heart tree I wanted to stamp.

3) I've stamped the tree in this wonderful poppy red colour, sprinkled the holographic embossing powder on top of it, removed (and recycled) the excess of powder and heat embossed it. 

Before heat-embossing

 4) I've made an L-shaped frame of tiny flowers and leaves with the Artemio puncher on the front white sheet, and glued (I've been actually using adhesive tape) the red sheet on the back to give the flowers and leaves a red colour.

5) I've glued the red rectangle in the centre of the card and stuck a couple of pieces of mounting tape on it to give the following element (the white stamped square) a bit of dimensionality.



 6) For the vellum cover, I've cut a piece as large as the card but at least twice the height of the card (so that I could fold it over)
7) On the front part of the vellum cover, I've stamped with transparent ink and embossed with the holographic powder the same picture as the one that is inside the card (trying to place it exactly on top of the red tree) 


Not sure it's easy to spot the external  tree...
8) I've used PPT to create and nicely frame the words 'Happy Mother's day' that I've then printed on a normal A4 white sheet. To give the words dimensionality I've again used the mounting tape. To avoid that the light paper sheet would fold over the mounting tape, I've glued each part of this sentiment on a piece of white 240 gr Vivaldi paper.
9) I've then glued the card inside the vellum cover and the remaining white Iris Vivaldi white sheet on the external back part of the vellum.



Comments

Popular posts

Card making and papercraft magazines

Last month I had the chance to get, for the first time, a couple of Cardmaking & papercraft  magazines: Papercraft Inspirations and Make Christmas card magazine. Papercraft Inspiration December issue had a Christmas window build-a-scene embossing folder and stamp free gift, as well as  free festive papers . Make Christmas cards was offering:  2 embossing folder borders ,  13 stylish stamps ,  32 Christmas papers ,  12 découpage sheets ,  117 toppers & motifs and  73 festive greetings. Here you have some of the cards and tags I've made with the magazines' gifts All cards have been donated to hospitals 

One more way to combine soy wax and gel!

The followings are all two-layered candles with the bottom layer made of gel and the upper part made of soy wax . Why combining the two of them? Because gel is transparent and allows you to embed objects   and soy wax   has an incredible  scent   throw and a long burning time ! Few simple rules for embedding objects: ideally they should be non flammable (like glass animals, shells or stones)! ...but if you do not exaggerate with the amount, you also can potentially use cinnamon sticks, dried flowers etc... To be on the safe side: if you use flammable objects I'd anyway suggest you to pour the thinnest layer of gel as possible (just to cover the embeds) and avoid burning this layer. And remember: never ever leave lit candles unattended! Let yourself be inspired and give it a try! Gel embeddings: glitters (blue candle) or sea shells (peach candle). Soy wax: caramel-scented.   G el embeddings: cinnamon sticks G el embeddings: cinnamon sticks (left) or star